Container Shipping: An industry with huge potential to make a difference
90% of all goods globally are transported through a container. The largest container vessels are 400 meters long and can transport 20,000 containers at a time. The container shipping industry is the backbone and enabler of global trade, but it is struggling. At its core the industry is fundamentally inefficient: 50% of all container vessels globally are delayed coming into port, and key planning processes are done manually on a global scale. This leads to high operational costs, lost revenue, and unnecessarily high greenhouse gas emissions. At Portchain, we work with our customers to reduce operational complexity and optimize planning through software and cutting-edge analytics.
Our products use data, mathematical modelling, machine learning, and optimization to help our users get full transparency on their operations and make better decisions. We are looking for a talented Product Owner to join our team and lead one of our two products.
As the Product Owner you will work closely with the Chief Product Officer, Head of Engineering, developers, data scientists, design, quality assurance, Head of Customers, and naturally our users to lead and ensure that the right features are built into our products, are robust and reliable for use in 24/7 live operations.
Portchain is an exciting fast-growth company where you will work with an incredible team on applications with a truly global impact.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Define product vision, road-map and growth opportunities
- Lead the design, specifications and implementation of end-to-end features, through agile sprints
- Engage with users and key stakeholders on an ad-hoc basis primarily to collect feedback
- Assess value, develop cases, and prioritize stories, epics and themes to ensure work focuses on those with maximum value that are aligned with product strategy
- Lead the planning product release plans and set expectations for delivery of new functionalities. Ensure that the team always has an adequate amount of prior prepared tasks to work on
- Ensure the application development is high quality
- 3 years minimum of professional experience as a software product owner
- Demonstrated excellent knowledge of technology, analytics and UX/UI across several domains
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills paired with the ability to develop creative and efficient solutions to develop simple solutions to complex planning tasks
- Strong collaboration mindset, working with the commercial team, engineering, design and analytics to gather perspectives, weigh solution options, and make a fact based decision swiftly and efficiently
- Strong client skills being able to work and communicate with everyone from the COO to the daily planners in customer organizations
- A deep understanding that we always have to navigate between the immediate impact of a feature and the technical debt incurred by its implementation. You are able to carefully weigh the pros and cons and make a choice in favour of the company and the team
- Comfortable with rapid changes common in early-stage product development
- Energized by complex problem solving and ability to think out of the box
Bonus skills (not required)
- In-depth knowledge of Agile process and principles
- Experience working with user focused B2B quality products
- Experience with building products that leverage advanced analytics technologies such as machine learning and optimization