Software Engineer (Community Tech)
The Community Tech Team at Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a Software Engineer to work with us to build features and tools requested by the Wikimedia community.
Each year, the Community Tech team runs a global survey in which our volunteer community proposes and votes on “wishes” for technical projects. These vary from small enhancements to MediaWiki, the software that powers Wikipedia, to entirely new tools or applications. Community Tech commits to addressing the top ten vote-getting proposals in each calendar year. We are seeking a software engineer to join Community Tech to help us address these wishes and provide solutions to the community.
This is an ideal opportunity for a member of the community to leverage their skills and experience and help the Foundation support the community better. While we are able and willing to coach and train engineers new to MediaWiki or the free knowledge movement, this role requires existing knowledge and experience developing modern web applications.
You are responsible for:
- Architect, develop, test, and deploy new features, improvements and upgrades to various systems and tools used by the Wikimedia community
- Partner with Foundation staff and volunteers on software design, development, testing and evaluation of potential technical solutions
- Help identify and implement best practices in engineering processes across the team
- Ensure positive and constructive discussions with the community and the Foundation
- Work and communicate effectively within a small team distributed across multiple time zones
Skills and Experience:
- Interest in front-end web application development skills
- Experience with collaborative open source communities
- Openness to working with a diverse and geographically distributed team
- Strong written communication skills as our collaboration largely happens online
- Bachelor’s degree in CS or related field or the equivalent in work related experience
Qualities that are important to us:
- Adaptable - This team works on many different features and codebases. Be able to adapt your skills to the task and learn quickly is important.
- User-focused - Our primary goal is to provide our users with tools and features that cannot get without our help.
- Open-minded - The team is comprised of people from several different countries and cultures. Be open to new ways of communicating and working.
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
In addition to the basic skills needed for being successful, these skills could set you apart from the pack!
- Experience with MediaWiki development or or as a contributor to Wikimedia projects
- Experience with Test-Driven Development and agile methodologies
- Any other free/open source software development experience is highly welcome
- Understanding of the free culture movement
- Experience with online community moderation or anti-harassment tools
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Eligible international workers' benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record
Wikimedia Medium Term Plan
Diversity and inclusion information for Wikimedia workers, by the numbers
Annual Report - 2017
This is Wikimedia Foundation
Back to jobs