Software Engineer (remote US or office) <progressive ed nonprofit>
Location: Flexible, within the United States (Boston preferred)
Position is available: Immediately
Reporting to the Director of Engineering, you will play a key role in implementing our technology vision for the organization. The ideal candidate will be passionate about cutting-edge development and best practices and able to work across the stack. We are looking for a flexible and adaptable engineer with enthusiasm for learning and growing their skills.
ANet is flexible to remote working with appropriate experience and a history of successfully collaborating on complex projects withother developers remotely. Occasional travel to ANet’s National Office in Boston will be necessary, so proximity to the New England area and eastern time zone is preferable.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
● Implement ANet’s next generation of technology products that support data-driven educational practices and help to close the achievement gap in the underserved communities we partner with.
● Create, monitor and deliver against the product road map and corresponding release cycles (as negotiated with the Product Management Team).
● Help manage, improve, and automate our deployment frameworks.
● Keep abreast of new technologies and propose adoption as appropriate.
● Actively embrace and model best practices such as code reviews, unit testing, and planning/scoping/vetting larger features.
● Commensurate with experience, provide strategic leadership in setting goals and measuring progress in RESTful server-side APIs and/or agile, componentized client-side code.
● Commensurate with experience, proactively look for ways to build our team through individual contributions which help us improve code quality, team culture, and team velocity.
WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU BRING
In order to be successful in this role, candidates must demonstrate the following:
● You have at least one year of experience delivering software that is deployed in production using:
o Scrum or other Agile development processes
o Cloud-based infrastructure on AWS, including continuous integration and deployment
o RESTful Web Services
o Cloud-based data services, preferably with both SQL and NoSQL
o Java, Go, and/or Angular programming languages
● You are a team player who motivates and educates colleagues; you enjoy working in a highly collaborative and agile culture.
● You are skilled in working closely with business partners to build technology solutions that meet the usability and functional needs of both internal and external users.
● You operate comfortably among a highly independent staff with diverse backgrounds.
● You bring an innovative approach to analyze, evaluate and solve problems.
● You have a passionate commitment to and a sense of urgency for the support of schools, along with a belief that all students can achieve at high levels.
● You are motivated by working in an environment where we live out our core values daily and are eager to examine personal archetypes and biases while discussing topics related to race, class, and privilege which relate to ANet’s Advance Equity and People Matter values.
Ideal candidates may also demonstrate the following preferred qualifications:
● You have a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Math, Engineering or related degree
● For candidates interested in working remotely, you bring demonstrated experience and previous success working remotely
WHO WE ARE
Achievement Network (ANet) is a nonprofit dedicated to educational equity. We help schools boost student learning with great teaching that’s grounded in standards, informed by data, and built on the successful practices of educators around the country. Founded in 2005, ANet now serves over 700 schools educating over 230,000 students across the country. Our support has consistently helped our partner schools—both district and charter—achieve breakthrough results for their students.
ANet has received multiple awards and recognitions, most recently receiving the highest ratings (Tier 1) on our math and ELA formative assessments from the Louisiana Department of Education, the only organization to receive such high marks. We were also named to The NonProfit Time’s “Best Nonprofits to Work For” and in the 2018-19 school year will be launching the Breakthrough Results Fund, a four-year collaboration to prove what’s possible in instructional improvement.
ANet is a dynamic, values driven, team-oriented organization that is committed to the growth and development of all staff members. Individuals who join ANet have the opportunity to join an exceptional team of colleagues committed to helping schools drive excellent teaching and learning by investing in each other and learning together.
WHAT WE OFFER
ANet offers highly competitive compensation based on prior experience and qualifications as well as comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: health, dental and vision insurance where ANet pays 80% of the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partner; 3 weeks of vacation (4 weeks after two years with ANet); 10 paid holidays with paid days off between the Christmas and New Year’s holidays; a paid floating holiday; paid sick & personal days; paid parental leave; retirement plan options; commuter benefits; tuition reimbursement; flexible spending accounts; short and long-term disability coverage; and basic life and personal accident insurance.
HOW TO APPLY
We are accepting applications for this position immediately. To apply, please visit our Job Board (http://www.achievementnetwork.org/careers/). After clicking on the title associated with this role, you will be prompted to create an application and upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter. In your cover letter, please outline why you are interested in working for ANet and how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling and urgent basis.
ANet is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
← Back to jobs