Android Software Engineer
About the opportunity
Flock is looking to add an Android Software Engineer to our Device software team. Our Device team is made up of scrappy engineers who are responsible for all of the code running on a variety of devices Flock deploys in the real world. They enable the whole experience by writing applications that reliably capture, process, and upload data for years at a time without needing human interaction to keep them running.
Some challenges you’ll tackle
- Design systems at scale – We capture over 200M images daily and process them on the device in real time
- Own features through their lifecycle: ideation, proof of concept, beta testing, and release
- Collaborate with Hardware, Machine Learning, and Platform teams on multifaceted projects touching the entire system
- Work with systems designed for ultimate redundancy and high availability
- Balance performance with energy consumption - we're a machine learning enabled media processing machine powered by the sun!
- Work directly with Product to develop innovative software solutions to utilize our product in challenging customer use cases
- Interface multiple IoT devices together to share data to help each other understand and respond to the environment
- Love writing code and have extensive experience doing so.
- Have delivered production Android apps (ideally in Kotlin!) with more than a few downloads.
- Have a strong desire to understand the root cause of a problem and deliver a robust solution.
- Like to work on a product you can touch, see, and experience.
- Don't mind clicking accept when the screen says you're about to void the warranty.
- Are excited about working on a fast-paced, constantly evolving product.
- Be able to crack a joke every now and then, even if you're the only one who laughs.
If you noticed, the above list says very little about specific coding skills. We believe the right person for this role is much more than a great engineer. But to get into the nitty gritty, technology we work with on the daily looks like:
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 6 Series and 8 Series
- Android Open Source Project (AOSP) 8.1 and 10
- Some Java and C++ when we have to
- Sierra Wireless RIL
- Custom TCP and UDP protocols for content delivery
- Silicon Labs BLE Microcontrollers
Back to jobs