Jellyvision is hiring a Data Engineer
Jellyvision’s headquarters is in Chicago, and, post-COVID, many of us will be returning to the Chicago offices (by choice, not requirement -- our philosophy is “Flexible First”). But this position is also eligible for work by a remote employee out of CA, FL, GA, IL, KY, MA, MI, MN, NY, NC, OH, OR, PA, TX, UT, WA, or WI.
Who we are
We at Jellyvision are the proud parents of ALEX, an interactive employee communications platform that makes choosing (and using) employee benefits easier and more enjoyable. Our credo is a simple one: be helpful. And we think the best way to achieve that is with a staff that reflects the vast range of ideas, perspectives, and experiences of the millions of people who use our products.
How you’ll help
As a company, Jellyvision is growing fast and so is the data associated with the growth.
This role will bring in industry expertise in Data Engineering to help bridge the needs of Data Scientists, Data Analysts, Business Intelligence and the User Research teams. Successful candidates will partner with our business partners to understand the data needs and to achieve operational excellence.
What you’ll do
- Design, build and integrate Data ETL/ELT pipelines using Cloud technologies (AWS, Google Cloud Platform [GCP]) and also using data-centric programming language (Python preferred)
- Write test-friendly application code using either TDD or BDD methodologies
- Create, document and execute all test plans (unit, integration, end-to-end)
- Write complex SQL (NoSQL a plus) queries needed to make data easily accessible
- Create, maintain and optimize Data ecosystem
- Collaborate with architecture and lead engineers to ensure consistent development practices are followed
- Provide mentoring to Junior Engineers
- Participate in estimation process for new work and releases
- Participate in peer reviews
- Participate in retrospective reviews once the project and/or sprint is completed
- Provide constructive feedback where and when necessary to improve process and delivery
- Drive improvements in people, practices, and procedures
- Ability to learn and embrace new technologies in an ever-changing environment
- Support live systems to ensure business continuity
Experience & skills you’ll need
- 3+ years of experience in the Data Engineering domain
- Strong SQL skills and experience writing large volumes of data and various database technologies
- Experience in Python, Ruby, Scala, C++ and any other data-centric programming languages
- Well versed in ETL/ELT process and implementation
- Strong analytic skills related to working with big structured and unstructured datasets
- Experience with big data tools such as Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc
- Experience with relational SQL and NoSQL databases
- Experience with AWS cloud services such as EC2, EMR, RDS, Redshift
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work using Agile methodologies
- Ability to work quickly and collaboratively in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Outstanding problem-solving skills
- Experience in on-call support rotation schedule
Good to have:
- Experience with AWS and AWS ML services like SageMaker
- Experience with AWS Data Engineering tools like AWS Glue, AWS Data Pipeline, Airflow
- Experience working with PII, PHI, HIPAA, CCPA and Healthcare sensitive data
- Experience and knowledge working with data warehouses such as Snowflake
- Full-stack experience, having both frontend and backend development experience
- Entrepreneurial and innovative
- Action Oriented
- Drives Results
- Manages Complexity
- Optimizes Work Processes
- Tech Savvy – High Complexity Tasks
Jellyvision is committed to fostering a more inclusive workplace where people across all dimensions of diversity and intersectionality, including, but not limited to race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, neuro-diversity, gender identity, gender expression, sex, or country of origin are welcomed, valued, and celebrated! We have an opportunity to increase representation at all levels and need your unique talents, background and perspectives. We look forward to your contributions to our team.
Thanks for your interest in Jellyvision!