This role is an opportunity for a technologist with a deep passion for Linux, systems and integrating Cloud technologies to build a career with Canonical and drive the success with those leveraging Ubuntu and Open Source products. If you have an affinity for Open Source development and a passion for technology, then you will enjoy working with some of the best people in the industry at Canonical.
Dedicated Support Engineer - Customer Site
No two days are the same in Support & Technical Services. We engage in challenging problems to solve, constantly pick each other’s brains and our minds are always abuzz with ideas for helping our customers to make the most of their Ubuntu systems.
We are rapidly expanding and are looking for talented professionals with a passion for working on the next generation of Ubuntu solutions for our customers.
Dedicated Support Engineers in Canonical are key to servicing our enterprise customers and partners. The role serves as a dedicated escalation point for our Enterprise class customers and partners within Canonical Support & Technical Services.
You will be hands-on every day, in a fast-paced, large-scale environment on a regular basis. Daily status calls are the norm, as velocity is high, as you support both operational and engineering teams at the customer's various locations.
Your success will also serve as a lighthouse for others on the Support & Technical Services team, and contribute to their knowledge, troubleshooting and ongoing learning as well.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Assume direct responsibility for and drive exceptional support provided to our customer base, with specific focus on assigned accounts.
- Gain understanding of our partner's technical infrastructure and environment, hardware, strategy and/or product(s), to help guide them to supportable solutions and help avoid any potential trouble areas in that trajectory.
- Investigate any and all issues reported by customers by doing your own research, building reproducers to try to solve problems and involving others across the organization as necessary to achieve customer goals.
- For assigned accounts, manage support escalations and issue prioritization, acting internally as a an advocate on the customer's behalf.
- On-site customer support working to resolve complex customer problems related to Ubuntu, Cloud, OpenStack technologies (possibly including Juju, MAAS, Charms), multiple container technologies (LXD, Docker, etc) as well as general Ubuntu Server and kernel issues.
- Ensure that each support case owned by you is handled as per our Service Level Agreement (SLA) in accordance with the Ubuntu Advantage Service Description (UASD) with the highest possible customer satisfaction by setting the right expectations and fulfilling your commitments.
- Contribute new knowledge articles and maintain existing knowledge base articles. This includes any public-facing collateral that you may author on behalf of Canonical or in joint combination with the customer.
- Provide architectural design and recommendations for Ubuntu and Canonical technologies (including, but not limited to MAAS, Juju, Landscape, container technologies, etc.).
- Act as the named, dedicated contact within Canonical for support issues for the customer.
- Ability to travel internationally up to 20% of your time.
- High-level of customer engagement and soft-skills are necessary, including working directly with the customer's users to help resolve their own Ubuntu, Linux or related issues, ranging from Senior Management down to datacenter operations teams.
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 5 years experience supporting Linux systems in a large-scale, enterprise environment.
- Familiar with OpenStack, virtualization and other Cloud technologies, including desktop virtualization platforms (VirtualBox, libvirt, qemu, KVM).
- Direct experience with Git, and git based workflows, including branching, merging, squashing commits and cherry-picking patches.
- Advanced troubleshooting (up to application layer, including, core dump analysis and kernel dump analysis desirable).
- Experience working with APIs, through troubleshooting and performance monitoring, tuning.
- Demonstrable expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- Advanced storage (RAID, LVM, SAN, NAS, file system tuning, block, object, etc.)
- Advanced networking (bonding, firewalling, bridging, switching, network file system tuning, etc.)
- Clustering, cloud computing (provisioning, monitoring, orchestration, etc.)
- Linux integration with other environments (authentication/directory services, network file systems, etc.)
- CI/CD tooling
- Container technologies (Docker, Kubernetes, Rancher, etc)
- Development level experience and troubleshooting experience in at least 2 programming languages like Bash, C, Python, Golang, etc.
- Experience managing customer relationships through long-term consulting engagements, account management, or direct support.
- Hands-on, direct experience with Ubuntu or Debian based Linux environments, including packaging and dependency management.
- Must be able to understand Ubuntu OS bugs and advise on next steps, acting as a broad generalist when necessary.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English as a minimum.
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Debian packaging experience and knowledge of Ubuntu development processes.
- Direct experience with MAAS and Juju.
- Familiarity with Snap packages and Snapcraft.
- Experience managing software in a highly regulated or restricted environment (SSL, SSO, proxies, interception)
- Familiarity with other revision control systems in addition to Git.
- Experience with configuration management and deployment tooling (Ansible, Chef, SaltStack, Puppet etc)
- Familiarity with Open Source process and community practices required as well as familiarity with Open Source business model desirable, including knowledge of Open Source licensing.
- Knowledge of Operating Systems other than Ubuntu, including other flavors of Linux, Windows and macOS.
Home Based - Americas
Support Manager in Americas, East
Canonical is a growing, international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu -- the world’s #1 cloud operating system. Our mission is to realize the potential of free software in the lives of individuals and organisations. Our services are helping businesses worldwide to reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
- 100% Work-from-home
- Learning and Development
- Competitive Salary
- Recognition Rewards
- Annual Leave
- Priority Pass for travel
- Flexible working option
Canonical believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class software and services which meet the world’s computing needs. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
#LI-Remote #LI-ET1 #stack