We are a diverse and fully distributed team from around the world, working toward our shared vision to raise the standard of trust online. Join us as a Director, Windows Engineer to help shape DuckDuckGo's products. As part of our growing team, you will collaborate with team members at all levels to bring new products to market. Examples of projects you might work on include leading the development of consumer privacy applications on Windows. You will take direct responsibility of all aspects related to products built on Windows, build new features, drive improvements, and own product maintenance. We are fully-remote and empower our team to be self-directed and self-motivated in their projects. If you'd thrive in that environment, and our core values resonate with you -- build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction -- you'll fit right in! What you will do:
- Lead projects from proposal through postmortem, assessing vague problems, proposing high impact solutions, and executing them against a set of success criteria.
- Lead development of consumer privacy applications on Windows
- Lead technical design and architecture discussions, and get buy-in among groups of opinionated stakeholders.
- Advise members of the team in both functional and career growth.
- Write pragmatic, performant, and testable C# code that works consistently across Windows devices.
- Be a subject matter expert at the company in C# and the Windows application development ecosystem.
- Take privacy and user experience into consideration throughout the engineering process.
What we are looking for:
- Advanced level of C# experience
- Advanced level of Windows application development architecture, .NET core and WPF expertise.
- Experience leading at least one large consumer facing Windows desktop application, serving hundreds of thousands or millions of users.
- Experience leading technical architecture decisions for complex products.
- Deep understanding of MV* concepts.
- Comfortable learning new languages and ideas.
- Experience collaborating with engineers working on other platforms (e.g. macOS, Android, iOS)
- Experience collaborating with product/design to build polished consumer facing products.
- Exceptional project management skills.
- Creative problem solvers and risk takers. You like to take initiative to push projects forward and know when to involve others.
Other things to know:
- While we leverage specific job titles for hiring purposes, we do not use them internally. Instead, we follow our own professional levels, with expectations for each level clearly defined across several dimensions.
- We are a small, remote team distributed across time zones, and we rely on a variety of communication tools throughout the day. You should feel comfortable with the intricacies of this type of work situation.
- Sometimes we meet up! Expect to travel at least two times a year: once for our all-hands meetup and again for a team retreat (each ~4-5 days).
- We believe in a focused approach to collaboration, where individual team members work on a single top priority at a time, each supporting larger, company-wide objectives. This philosophy serves to impact our vision to raise the standard of trust online.
- Our work philosophy centers on empowered project management. All team members have opportunities to run projects.
- Transparency supports individual and team success at DuckDuckGo. We encourage everyone to participate in areas of interest throughout the company. Anyone and everyone can (and should) ask questions and offer feedback about our products and internal projects.
- We strive to exemplify our values (build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction) in everything we do.
- While this is a full-time job, we offer a flexible work arrangement with no core hours, expecting an average commitment of 40 hours per week.
- We support professional development of our team members through career advisory and a learning stipend, reinforcing our culture of growth and skill-building.
Other reasons to love working at DuckDuckGo:
- Flexible vacation and sick leave practices
- Flexible work schedule
- Company-wide hack days
- Company and team meetups
- Open participation in company strategy
- Family leave policy
- Co-working reimbursement
- Hardware and office setup benefits
- Wellness and learning benefits
- Charitable donation matching
- US health benefits
- US 401k
- "Use good judgment" approach to company policies
DuckDuckGo does not work with any recruiting agencies or services. Instead, we work with each candidate one-on-one throughout a unique hiring process that we've built to reflect our company culture. DuckDuckGo provides equal work opportunities to all team members and applicants and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. If you think you might thrive in this environment, we would love to hear from you. Use the application to apply! Please note that:
- A successful candidate will be subject to a background check.
- By applying for this role, you confirm that information submitted is accurate and that you understand falsification is cause for denial of employment or termination.