Engineering Manager - Ubuntu Security
As an engineering manager in the Ubuntu Security team your primary responsibility is to the people you support: ensuring that they are growing as engineers, doing valuable work, and generally having a great time at Canonical. As a lead for strong engineers, technical leadership and a solid background in security and open source is a must, so that you’re able to challenge and grow your team members. You will have the opportunity to influence the culture, facilitate technical delivery, and work with your team on strategy and execution.
The ideal candidate for this role is passionate about open source, security, and getting their work in the hands of millions of users all over the world in every computing environment imaginable.
What you’ll do
- Participate in architectural design reviews as they pertain to security in Ubuntu
- Perform and/or participate in design reviews for security-sensitive initiatives as required
- Work with internal stakeholders on coordinating security updates in key software
- Engage with partners, customers, and the community to represent the Ubuntu Security team
- Build and lead a globally distributed team of engineers through hiring, coaching, mentoring, feedback and hands-on career development
- You will demonstrate sound engineering principles by directly contributing toward your team’s goals
- Support timely delivery of technical solutions to address business needs
- Effectively set and manage expectations with other engineering teams, senior management, and external stakeholders
- Advocate and advance modern, agile software development practices and help develop and evangelize great engineering and organizational practices
- Grow a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with the company values
- Be an active part of the leadership team and collaborate with other leaders in the organisation
- Work from home with global travel up to 20% for internal and external events
Who you are
- You are passionate about security and what that means in the fast-paced world of open source
- You are knowledgeable about threat analysis, vulnerability management, and security certifications
- You have developed, productized and supported security solutions
- You love developing and growing people and have a track record of doing it
- You are knowledgeable and passionate about software development
- You have experience in leading, managing, coaching and mentoring software developers towards delivering timely, high quality software together with them
- You have solid experience working in an agile development environment
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.
What Canonical Offers:
- Learning and Development
- Annual Compensation Review
- Recognition Rewards
- Annual Leave
- Priority Pass for travel
- Flexible working option
Canonical believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class software and services which meet the world’s computing needs. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.