Our growing security technology company
seeks an experienced, well-rounded Senior AWS DevOps Engineer to join our elite team
of dedicated individuals. In this position, you will be responsible for maintaining
and developing Amazon Web Services (AWS)
cloud-based infrastructure and monitoring systems by leveraging automated infrastructure build tools.
This includes evaluating, planning, and implementing performance and feature updates to systems, responding to incidents, and acting as a cloud system SME for the tech support and development teams.
This role will encounter many complex systems and we do not expect all candidates to possess knowledge of every tool we use--but we do expect the motivation and ability to learn, adapt, and overcome challenges with a victorious attitude. If you want to be challenged and thrive in a fast-paced, agile environment and love wearing multiple hats, you'll enjoy this role!
Ideally, the candidate will be located in the DC metro area, however, qualified candidates in other US locations may be considered. This position reports to the Director of Cloud Operations.
- As the primary point of contact for several critical production AWS cloud-based systems, analyze, configure, and monitor the systems as necessary.
- Ensure critical SLAs are met which will include an on-call schedule for off-hour emergencies.
- Identify, analyze, and resolve system problems.
- Continue to develop our expanding IaC repository with the mentality of automate everything.
- Manage and own the virtual infrastructure for a several critical production web applications. Tasks include general maintenance, site migrations, systems configuration and optimization, troubleshooting, security, incident response team lead, and working closely with other teams on projects that require cloud infrastructure support.
- Assist with the development of solutions for collecting, analyzing, and acting on telemetry data from applications and the AWS resources that run them.
- Assist with system architecture of existing and new cloud-based systems.
- Review system additions and/or enhancements and makes recommendations to management.
- Plan and implement updates of operating systems, packages, and other relevant systems.
- Develop documentation for new and/or existing systems.
- Provide system training and technical guidance for utilizing cloud computing resources.
- Maintain current knowledge of relevant technology as assigned.
- Participate in special projects as required.
Skills and Requirements
- 6+ years of applicable experience in a systems administrator or similar role.
- 2+ years of applicable experience with cloud-based administration (Azure, AWS, Google, etc).
- Associate (2-year) degree, Bachelor (4-year) degree preferred in the field of CS or IT or equivalent work experience.
- Some of the products we use and expect you to have experience with include AWS Lambda, Cloudwatch, Cloudtrail, IAM, Elastisearch, SNS, SQS, ELB/ALB/NLB, NAT GW, Redshift, DynamoDB, Kinesis, EC2, System Manager, and others.
- Must have excellent knowledge and troubleshooting skills with web technologies such as Apache, NGINX, MySQL, LAMP stacks, Wordpress, layer 7 firewalls, proxies, static content offloading, caching, CDNs, etc.
- Deep understanding of firewalls, subnetting, NAT, NACLs, Load Balancing, DNS, packet filtering, and Security best practices.
- Hands-on experience with APM and other monitoring tools. Examples include NewRelic, Datadog, Dynatrace, AppDynamics, Retrace, Site24x7, Splunk, native AWS tools including X-Ray, etc.
- Excellent Linux OS administration.
- Experience and understanding of Infrastructure as Code, Automation, and Orchestration including hands-on experience with CloudFormation templates. Terraform and Azure DevOps a plus.
- Version control (e.g. Git, etc) and automated deployment tools (e.g Jenkins, Azure DevOps, CodeDeploy, TeamCity, Bamboo, etc.).
- Experience writing effective scripts and markup language files such as XML, JSON, and/or YAML.
- Understanding different backup and disaster recovery approaches in the cloud.
- Experience with PKI systems and SSL/TLS Certificates management.
- Excellent facilitator with the ability to act as an emergency response task force lead.
- Desired certifications include: Network+, Server+, Security+, AWS Solutions Architect Associate/Professional, AWS SysOps Administrator, etc.