We are a tight-knit group with diverse backgrounds who value our culture. Individually, we strive to be humble, hungry, and people-smart. As a team we put learners first, we share before we are ready, we ask clarifying questions, we highlight what’s working, we have difficult conversations, we get agreements, and we make time for life. These aren’t just slogans we put on the wall…we love and live by our culture.
If you are a hungry data engineer who is looking to jump on a path of continuous learning, continuous improvement, and a team that values impacting real people in a real way… look no further, you may be a llama and just don’t know it yet.
This person will be a vital member of the Data squad. The candidate in this role will be most successful if they have either built or had a hand in building data warehouses and data pipelines in cloud environments.
Candidates for this role will typically have at least 3 years of experience building data pipelines or ETL processes, but if you've gained equivalent experience in another way, we'd still love to talk.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Data Processing
- Design, develop and test data pipeline solutions and automate data loading/transforming processes.
- Clearly articulate pros and cons of various technologies and platforms in open source and proprietary products.
- Execute proof of concept on new technology and tools to help the organization pick the best tools and solutions.
- Data Warehouse Architecture
- Own the technical design, lead the technical architecture and implementation of creating our data warehouse.
- Define the overall solution architecture needed to implement a warehouse that ensures a high level of quality and timely insights.
- Analyze data requirements, complex source data, and application data models, and determine the best methods for integrating data to support internal and external analytical needs.
- Communicate with product owners and business owners to clarify requirements. Craft technical solutions to convey plans to both technical and non-technical teams.
- Essential Abilities
- You have proven experience writing ETL scripts to quickly migrate data across various storage types.
- You have experience writing and maintaining code with a team at scale.
- You have familiarity with messaging queues.
- You have experience with relational databases: Postgres, MySQL or SQL Server.
- You have strong experience writing SQL queries.
- You have experience working closely with back-end engineers, designers, testers, and product managers. People skills, along with a desire to both learn and teach, are essential.
- You frequently ask clarifying questions about the intended impact of the work, weighing options, and devising creative solutions to complex problems.
- You are able to translate the non-technical business needs into a clear technical action plan and vice versa, seamlessly.
- You are known for the ability to make an estimate, establish a deadline collaboratively, and hit that mark.
- Server-side tech (especially Python, Docker)
- Database experience
- Working Cross-Functionally
- Producing value, not work
- Business and technical translation
- Promises delivered
- Nice-to-have Abilities
- AWS or Google Cloud experience
- Data Science or machine learning experience
- A whole person approach to taking care of you with medical, vision, dental, disability, financial, mental, and life benefits
- Time for life with unlimited PTO, Summer Break (all-company week of vacation in July) and Winter Holiday (all-company time off in December)
- Paid parental leave for primary and secondary caregivers
- Giving back to our communities with dollars and volunteer time through our Brighter Indy program
- Flexibility to #dobetterwork in the location that works best for you –– the Indianapolis office, your home office or that local coffee shop you love
- Recognition for the work you do and the success of our team –– shout outs, weekly MVPly award, quarterly Golden Llama award, equity, and a team that is always excited to celebrate meeting a challenge