Senior Principal Software Engineer (Remote)
In this role, you’ll work with all of EdTech, legal, and our Open Source Program Planning Office to help define what Open Source at WGU means and to build our open source community. This is an exciting opportunity to work with all levels of the organization and leave a lasting impact here and on the higher education community at large.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Reporting to Chief Architect – work with CA on various aspects of WGU Architecture and Engineering.
- Align and take ownership of enterprise architecture directives for further propagation to engineering teams.
- Work with cross-functional teams to train, mentor, solution and ensure alignment with enterprise architecture directives and guard rails.
- Defining, managing and streamlining all engineering aspects of the WGU engineering and open-source process at WGU (from people processes to tooling automation).
- Owning and managing WGU’s open-source presence and reputation on GitHub and beyond.
- Driving involvement and recognition of the open-source program internally at WGU.
- Aligning goals of the program with larger product and business goals.
- Building awareness of WGU open source externally and increasing overall WGU involvement in the open-source community.
- Establishing WGU as a high-contributing member of industry-leading Open-Source initiatives.
- Managing our process for evaluating incoming open-source code for use at WGU
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent communication, organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and professional presence – significant capacity to engage, inspire, develop and influence.
- Familiarity with basic engineering tools such as Git, Maven/Gradle, unit testing frameworks, integration testing frameworks and practices, CICD to realize infrastructure as code, etc.
- Have a deep understanding of principles of enterprise architecture, system design and experience leveraging enterprise tools to produce architecture artifacts.
- 10+ years’ experience leading software engineering teams as a working architect and/or engineer responsible for team culture, practices and responsibilities for producing working deployment artifacts.
- Experience in technology modernization, including design & implementation of large scale cloud platforms.
- Experience working in a rapidly changing environment, evolving to the business needs. Experience in redesigning monolithic applications and applying domain driven design with scalable microservices architecture.
- Experience in designing/implementation of an automated platform.
Back to jobs