Outschool's mission is to inspire kids to love learning. We believe the best way to do that is by linking learning to kids’ interests, connecting them with others who share those interests, and giving them the autonomy to pick their own path. We provide small group classes that meet over live video chat where learners are connected with teachers and classmates who share their interests. These classes are offered through our marketplace and conducted on our remote learning platform.
Our business is growing explosively and as of August, 800,000 learners have taken more than over 4M class hours. We've more than quadrupled our team since the beginning of 2020 from 25 to 100 to keep up with growth. We’ve raised $57M since founding with most of that still in the bank. Our sales have grown 2000% in the past year to reach a run-rate of more than $100M.
We're an experienced team with past accomplishments at Airbnb, Square, Apple, Uber, Udemy, Amazon, Wikipedia, Google, and many startups. We came together because we wanted to make a difference in education and saw the opportunity to empower learners, teachers, and parents.
Now, in the face of mass school closures, our product and expertise have become central to many more families, teachers and organizations than ever before. We're committed to access and impact so we founded outschool.org to offer financial assistance to families in need.
We are an effective team of engineers, getting a lot done by staying focused on the work that matters. We're iteratively building up a complex product for a highly engaged audience. Upcoming projects include data-driven recommendations, measuring teacher quality and learner engagement, learner profiles, integrated messaging, assignments, learning paths, growth experiments, better search, and more.
WORKING AT OUTSCHOOL:
- Collaborative team culture that encourages pairing, iteration, and impact
- Novel vision to transform kids' education through remote teaching with live video chat
- Consumer product with fast iteration cycles means many opportunities to create impact by building large features end-to-end
- Proven, fast-growing marketplace business with millions of dollars in annual revenue
- Funded by top education and marketplace investors, Reach Capital and Union Square Ventures
DESIRED EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- 5+ years of industry programming experience
- 3+ years modern front-end framework (e.g. React, Vue, etc)
- 3+ years of back-end programming (e.g. Node, Python, GraphQL)
- Experience working with relational databases such as PostgreSQL
- Proven ability in peer-to-peer collaboration via pairing, documentation, and knowledge sharing
- Track record of ownership of technical projects
- Ability to write clean, readable code that performs at scale
- Previous experience in startups, especially edtech
- Experience with AWS or Heroku
- Passion for learning and education
- Have something to teach us
- Shared Financial Success: Competitive salaries, stock options, and a 401k that makes saving for retirement easier.
- Health and Wellness: Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage options for employees and their families. Our medical benefits include fertility and family planning coverage. We also provide employees with online access to coaching and therapy sessions through our partner, ModernHealth.
- PTO and Family Benefits: PTO and family leave enable our team to take the time that we need to recharge, relax, and spend time with family and friends.
- Remote First: With over 50% of our team distributed across the US and Canada, we create a remote culture through expensable weekly meals, virtual events, expensable home office setup, and internet allowance.
- Lifelong Learners: Annual budgets to self-direct our professional development as well as DEI learning. There’s also a budget for employees’ learners to take classes on Outschool!
- Community Impact: Outschool matches employee donations to established 501c3s, and has committed to donating $3M to Outschool.org non-profit programs.
Outschool is an equal opportunity employer. We view diversity as a moral imperative and a competitive advantage. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We plan and structure our interviews to directly assess skills and experience.
Must be a citizen or legal resident of the U.S. or Canada and reside in U.S. or Canada.