The design team at Canonical is looking for a Senior User Researcher, expert in current research practice, with interests in technology and innovation.
In this role you will:
- Shape requirements, by conducting research with target users, audiences and stakeholders from the business, to identify and document user needs
- Uncover the goals, motivations, and mental models of our diverse, technical users
- Validate and help improve existing and proposed user experiences. We continuously improve UX, within agile sprints. Within product-squads you’ll work with designers and front end developers. You’ll collaborate across the organisation with product, engineering and marketing.
- Help teams understand their product’s wider contexts of use
- Synthesise findings from qualitative and qualitative research methods, delivering insights that gain traction in an engineering-led organisation
- Support others to succeed at their own research. Plan, evangelise and implement #ResearchOps tools, to help seed and accelerate research thinking.
You’ll have a passion for understanding how humans navigate complexity, and enjoy bringing a user centred approach to engineering leaders.
Our products are both technical and specialist; you’ll frequently work with domain-experts, across a wide portfolio of products. An appreciation of open source software is relevant.
You should have:
- A user-centred mindset
- Deep experience with facilitating user research
- Experience with the wide range research methods: unmoderated sessions, cardsorts, surveys, AB tests, ethnographic studies, UX heuristics and benchmarking
- Analytical rigour, to turn a lake of data into meaningful, evidenced findings
- Communication and collaboration skills that enable team-members to turn those insights into practical design and product decisions
- The ability to work both tactically, on improvements, and strategically, on the bigger picture
- At 5-7 years relevant experience
- A relevant degree
- A combination of evangelism, stamina and listening-skills, to communicate the value and results of research with relevant stakeholders
- Experience with using remote tools, for completing research globally
- Quantitative skills with analytics, events and flows
- The pragmatism to support others with just-enough-research
We Offer :
- Opportunity to help shape a company and products with strong influence in the open source community
- A fantastic work environment within a team of friendly people with a broad range of skill sets, from UX and visual designers to researchers and engineers
- Opportunity to create work that will potentially be seen by millions of people
- Remote role (EMEA time zone required) with good travel opportunities, predominantly to the US and Europe. Great benefits on offer too.
- Great benefits package
Canonical believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class software and services which meet the world’s computing needs. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.