Shopify App Developer (Technical Lead)
Trellis is looking for a Senior Software Engineer available full-time to lead one of its Shopify development teams. Here is the background that we are seeking:
- A strong theoretical background in software engineering and object-oriented programming is required.
- A strong understanding of database management and performant database design is required.
- At least 5 years of professional experience doing LAMP or Ruby development, including server setup and configuration is required.
- At least 3 years of provable Shopify experience is required. We suggest submitting a small portfolio, or at least a code sample as proof of this experience.
- Prior experience integrating with external web services, like SOAP, REST, or Graph QL APIs is required.
- At least 3 years of experience using and helping to manage code repositories using Git or Subversion is required.
- Above average ability to listen, speak, read and write in English daily is required.
- At least 2 years of using software development management tools like the Atlassian suite (JIRA, Confluence, etc.) or a similar set of applications is recommended.
- Prior experience leading a development team of 4 or more people is recommended.
- Prior experience doing setup and development using virtual machines or Docker is preferred.
- Prior experience setting up continuous integration and deployment (CI/CD) with tools like Jenkins, Git hooks, or BitBucket Pipelines is preferred.
- Prior experience using AWS to setup and configure EC2 and RDS servers to support LAMP or Ruby applications is preferred.
- One or more provable Shopify certifications is preferred.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related field of study, or some other similar level of educational background, is preferred.
Furthermore, we have the following requirements:
- If the candidate lives locally to our Malden, MA office, we would like the technical lead to be in the office 3+ days per week.
- Must be ready to assist the Project Manager by adding technical details to tickets, architecting solutions, and estimating new or future work.
- Must be able to manage a daily flow of work and delegate work to other team members appropriately.
- Must be able to work during Trellis’s office hours, which are 9am to 6pm Eastern, Monday to Friday.
- Must be able to mentor and teach junior team members on all topics related to Shopify app development.
- Must be able to handle escalations of mid- to senior-level of difficulty regarding any aspect of Shopify app issues, including hosting-related issues.
- Must be able to code review junior developers and promote good development practices.
- Must be able to setup new LAMP or Ruby servers and update configurations and software installations on existing servers.
- Must be able to deploy new code to production servers safely and efficiently.
- Must be able to communicate well with intra- and inter-departmental resources, as well as clients, and speak in language appropriate to the listening audience.
Must be able to log time spent against the correct tickets and help maintain a strong degree of team efficiency.
Back to jobs