At Vida, we empower individuals to overcome chronic mental and physical health conditions, once and for all. The impact of chronic conditions on healthcare is immense: in the US alone, chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease drive 80% of the $3 trillion healthcare spending, which is at 18% of GDP. One in 3 individuals has a chronic health condition, and 1 in 4 struggles with mental health.
Vida provides expert, personalized, on-demand health coaching and programs from a network of experienced health care providers and leading medical institutions. Vida is a next generation continuous care platform for both consumers and businesses, combining a consumer mobile app, an enterprise care platform offering on demand 24/7 solutions for chronic conditions. Vida platform runs in the cloud, captures real-time data from 100+ devices and apps, and integrates back to the employer, payer, and provider. We are trusted by Fortune 1000 companies, major national payers and large providers to enable their employees live their healthiest lives.
Vida is authorized to do business in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Vida is registered, you will not be eligible for employment. Please speak with your recruiter to learn more about where Vida is registered.
The backend engineering team designs and builds our API’s and services that power the mobile and web applications. You will be joining this creative and dedicated team and make an immediate impact on our business. We are small enough for you to have a large impact and big enough to learn and grow from your peers.
The team works cross functionally with a multidisciplinary team of mobile, test, web, product, design and clinical experts to build and design new product experiences for both our providers and our members.
- Design and build distributed infrastructure services which enable multiple applications for the rapid member growth at Vida.
- Collaborate within your team: review and give feedback on mobile and web features and designs, design APIs to enable the features, test, ramp, and monitor the success of the features you build
- Collaborate across Backend engineering: help bring new ideas and best practices to other Backend engineers, help define and drive the long term technical roadmap
- Be an owner of your work in all environments from staging to production. We are looking for those willing to raise their hand and step up to follow a project all the way through, from finding the problem to celebrating the solution.
- Help set up monitoring and alerting on services to continuously improve our SLA.
- Help find cloud native solutions to problems and find ways to increase efficiency and reduce cost of services
- Experience with designing service oriented architectures, distributed systems, and REST APIs
- Ability to lead and coordinate delivery of work with other software engineers.
- Strong skills and experience in the foundational skills of Software Engineering, such as Data Structures, OO Design, Relational Databases
- Experience with cloud platforms such as AWS or Google Cloud
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to inspire and make others around you better and become more energized
- A relentless focus on delivering maximum value to the end user
- Ownership mindset: Be excited about monitoring and alerting on your systems, be ready to query your own tracking data to find out how your feature is doing
- Has a track record of delivering high quality products/services.
- Growth mindset and an ability to persevere through grit
- 5-8 years of relevant work experience
- Actively contributes to creating/sustaining a culture of engineering excellence - hire great engineers, lead, mentor, take charge and get things done.
- Experience with Django/Flask.
- Experience with monitoring and alerting systems such as NewRelic, DataDog, Grafana.
- Experience with asynchronous systems such as Kafka, RabbitMQ, PubSub, Kinesis.
- Experience with container based deployments such as Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience with api modeling and test tools such as OpenAPI, Swagger, GraphQL, and Postman
- Competitive compensation with meaningful stock options
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability and Life Insurance (We cover 100% of your premium and 80% for your dependents)
- Healthcare FSA Plan
- Dependent Care FSA Plans
- Commuter and Parking Benefits
- 401K Program
- Flexible PTO Policy
- Paid Parental Leave
- 10 Paid Company Holidays
- We’re a distributed company, so you can work from most US states (We still have a HQ office in San Francisco)
- Access to a Vida Health Coach and the full Vida App
- New hire home office stipend
- Monthly wellness benefit
- Training and leadership development programs
- Weekly meetups with team members across the country through our #connectandcommit program
- Quarterly All Company Events
- Quarterly Team Based Connection Opportunities
- Significant opportunities for growth and development as the business grows
As a backend engineer, the team works end to end on delivering new services and features. If you have demonstrated an ability to ship software, we encourage you to apply even if you do not have the exact experience or not meet certain requirements.
Vida is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer.
Diversity is more than a commitment at Vida—it is the foundation of what we do. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
We seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. We don’t just accept differences — we celebrate them, we support them, and we thrive on them for the benefit of our employees, our platform and those we serve. Vida is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures.